By Ronak Shah | December 5, 2011
The 10 things YOU must do while deciding on a domain name are:
- Find The USP (Unique Selling Proposition). What is different about your product/service? What is your BIG PROMISE that fulfills needs of masses? What is your Mass Transformational Value?
- Find the target market. Most entrepreneurs don’t know who their “specific” target buyer is. Create a profile of your ‘Average Prospect’. What will your target market connect to? What will be catchy for your target market? The name has to be Simple, unique, catchy, self-explanatory & spontaneous.
- Brand Positioning is essential. How different are you from your competitors?
- Never compromise on quality just because you’re looking at traffic. If you’re looking at a google places listing or local search engine rankings then: A .com domain will have more value in the search engine if your site is hosted in the USA. A .in will have more value if your site is hosted on an Indian server. Geographically specific sites have more value not just in SE’s but in front of customers. If you’re going global, then use .com. If you’re going local (INDIA), then use .in.
- Use a proper keyword strategy. Keyword Research is the most important aspect when starting a website. You must know what your customers will type in Google. I use Market Samurai (pro version) for the same. Always have your primary keyword in the front of the domain name if you’re looking at SEO strategy. In respect of customers, you’re free to innovate. If it’s a blog, you can use a .com and add blog at the end of the domain name though not necessary.
- Choose a domain name that your customers will “recollect”/”remember” as a BRAND NAME. Allow your self to be distinct (weird). A BRAND IS YOUR IDENTITY in your marketplace.
- Avoid having longer domain names (e.g. anything above 4 words is long) with some exceptions. If you have a long domain name, that may be cool if it appeals to your customers but you need to differentiate between YOU & YOUR competitors. Longer domains which are distinct are caught by people. E.g. howtochooseadomainname.com ilovetobefunny.com, thefunniestmanontheplanet.com.
- Lastly, I use Domain Samurai which is an exquisite piece of free software that gives you multiple available domain names at the current time as per your keywords that you put in the software from various sites like: NameCheap, GoDaddy, Domain Face & HostGator. It will save you time, money & help you efficiently build up mileage. I use the pro version and WOW! No need to go to sites and keep typing to search for domain names. You get a wide variety of options with Domain Samurai and I can see training videos as well. WOW!
- Look at the emotional appeal (consumer engagement) to your target markets.
- If you’re still not able to choose a domain name, hire a brand strategist.
Freelance Web Copywriter & Internet Entrepreneur.
PS> I am always here to help. Message me or email me: firstname.lastname@example.org.
- Choosing the best domain name to aid your website’s SEO (marketing.yell.com)
- Common mistakes made when choosing domain names (marketing.yell.com)